Stock Trader Top Investors HT Affiliates
Go Back   Hawaii Talks - Hawaii's Online Community Forums! > Hawaii Talks Forums > Entertainment

HT Hosting

Unread 12-31-2008, 02:31 AM   #1
sylynteyes
Sand Facial

Additional Info
Credits: 1,666.90
sylynteyes is on a distinguished road
Default What are your thoughts on KIKU's "Soko ga Shiritai"?

Hello all,

My name is Neal Akatsuka and I am an undergraduate at the University of Hawaii at Manoa studying abroad in Tokyo. I am currently working on a paper for my media globalization course on audience reception in Hawaii of "Soko ga Shiritai." I am interested in particular about how Japanese Americans relate to the program - that is, how members of the Japanese diaspora living in Hawaii relate to a television program designed to showcase "Japan."

Some of the questions I have are:
- Why do Japanese Americans watch "Soko ga Shiritai"? That is, what is appealing about the program as opposed to other shows set in Japan such as Japanese dramas?
- Why does the show continue to be popular despite it being only reruns?
- How does one understand the "Japan" being presented in the show? For example, is it a Japan located in a certain period of time (the Past, the Present)? How does this reflect on the "accuracy" of the portrayal of Japan and does this matter in how the show is enjoyed?
- If one has actually gone to Japan, does this image of Japan fit what you actually encountered?
- Does the popularity of the series differ based on generation (i.e. nisei, sansei, yonsei) or gender?

If anyone has any opinions (particularly in regard to my questions) or would be willing to be interviewed further (via email), please post a reply or email me (neala@hawaii.edu). I would really appreciate it!!!

By the way, any and all information garnered would only be used for my class paper. You don't have to provide any personally identifying information (although if you could let me know if you are Japanese American, your age or generation (if Japanese American), and gender that would really help).

Thank you!

Neal Akatsuka
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Unread 12-31-2008, 06:15 AM   #2
lois
short fuse

Additional Info
Mos Eisley
Send a message via AIM to lois
Credits: 17,850.61
lois is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylynteyes
Hello all,

My name is Neal Akatsuka and I am an undergraduate at the University of Hawaii at Manoa studying abroad in Tokyo. I am currently working on a paper for my media globalization course on audience reception in Hawaii of "Soko ga Shiritai." I am interested in particular about how Japanese Americans relate to the program - that is, how members of the Japanese diaspora living in Hawaii relate to a television program designed to showcase "Japan."

Some of the questions I have are:
- Why do Japanese Americans watch "Soko ga Shiritai"? That is, what is appealing about the program as opposed to other shows set in Japan such as Japanese dramas?
- Why does the show continue to be popular despite it being only reruns?
- How does one understand the "Japan" being presented in the show? For example, is it a Japan located in a certain period of time (the Past, the Present)? How does this reflect on the "accuracy" of the portrayal of Japan and does this matter in how the show is enjoyed?
- If one has actually gone to Japan, does this image of Japan fit what you actually encountered?
- Does the popularity of the series differ based on generation (i.e. nisei, sansei, yonsei) or gender?

If anyone has any opinions (particularly in regard to my questions) or would be willing to be interviewed further (via email), please post a reply or email me (neala@hawaii.edu). I would really appreciate it!!!

By the way, any and all information garnered would only be used for my class paper. You don't have to provide any personally identifying information (although if you could let me know if you are Japanese American, your age or generation (if Japanese American), and gender that would really help).

Thank you!

Neal Akatsuka
hi Neal. i don't watch it too much anymore (probably cause i hardly watch TV) but when i would be at my parents' house, i'd always watch it with my dad.

dad--Nisei

i enjoyed watching it because it would showcase Japanese culture and society in "real-life" terms--real places, real shops, real event...real people.

i have NEVER been to Japan but i hope to visit one day. until then, Soko ga Shiritai is a not-bad substitute.

"She's blunt, she's loud, and she tells you crap you don't want to hear."--Mike

i can only please one person a day. you're too late for today and tomorrow doesn't look good either.
Unread 01-04-2009, 06:15 PM   #3
ArchangelX
Forum BOB-Erator

Additional Info
Kalihi, Oahu, HI
Wii Friend Code: 0793 7742 9373 2923
Credits: 65,026.81
ArchangelX is on a distinguished road

I wish I could respond to this, but I'm not Japanese-American. I LOVE Soko ga Shiritai, and am slightly upset at the fact that the series actually isn't running in today's modern equivalent. I think it's a show that really brought forth alot of insight into the internal workings of Japan's middle and lower class. It's amazing how much has been revealed through the every-day travels of their correspondents, just walkint to and fro.

I think Kitty watched this a bit, and she's Japanese American. Maybe she'll respond. I'm about to jet right now...but I'll post responses to your questions when I get back. I'm sure there's a few other posters here who can respond as well that ARE Japanese-American (or at least closer descent than I!).

dkmini, Noob?
Unread 01-04-2009, 06:48 PM   #4
sylynteyes
Sand Facial

Additional Info

Actually you do not need to be Japanese American - it is just the focus of my paper since it is on Japanese diaspora. However I think it would be interesting to also hear responses from people from other ethnic backgrounds as a means of contextualizing Japanese-American responses. In those cases, I would be really interested to know how you got to love the show!

Thank you!
Unread 01-04-2009, 07:39 PM   #5
shaka.hi
Bombara

Additional Info
Credits: 1,525.85
shaka.hi is on a distinguished road

Huge fan of Soko-ga-shiritai. Will watch the reruns, too. I know there's another show, but the title escapes me. I love Japanese food. Everything about it. Soko is not strictly a show about Japanese cuisine, but the majority of the show revolves around it.

Japanese food is like a ballet dancer. Everything else is like Beyonce doing one her songs on stage grinding away with her background dancers. It's just overwhelming (for the most part) compared to Western foods or other Asians foods. The Chinese/Koreans just seem to be extreme. Japanese is more refined, subtle. Graceful. You don't eat alot of it. Just enough to be comfortable and you actually chew and taste your food.

You don't see all these dead animals dumped on your plate covered with sauce.

There's cuteness, enthusiasm and innocence about these shows. I've been to Japan a few times for work and I don't really see what I see on TV....but the food and their passion for food is definitely there. The small hole-in-the-wall sushi bars are awesome. Everything's fresh...and the beer. Fresh Japanese beer in a super chilled glass is awesome. Having a bowl of hot ramen during winter time in a small ramen shop slurping away is indescribable...
Unread 01-16-2009, 07:20 AM   #6
lois
short fuse

Additional Info
Mos Eisley

was watching it the other evening, this little old lady made that red bean rice(?).

the program was about sweets. (tea ceremony cakes, etc.)

i can only please one person a day. you're too late for today and tomorrow doesn't look good either.
Unread 01-16-2009, 12:03 PM   #7
Outsider
LET ME IN!!!

Additional Info
Credits: 1,730.35
Outsider is on a distinguished road

I liked watching it because it showed different people/culture/places that I've never seen, and probably never will, in person. When they go into the older towns/villages, it's what I would assume, a throwback to the early-mid 1900's Hawaii...to a certain extent. They seem to have kept their culture alive.

That, and the lady that's one of the hosts of the show...has "smiley" eyes.
Unread 01-25-2009, 06:02 AM   #8
sylynteyes
Sand Facial

Additional Info

To everyone who posted,

Thank you so much for your responses! I am writing up my final paper, which has been informed in part by your thoughts. I will turn in the final draft next Monday (it is only now finals week at my university in Japan!).

Thank you!

Neal Akatsuka
Unread 01-25-2009, 07:29 AM   #9
Impact Blue
No-Pan Shabu-Shabu

Additional Info
Credits: 6,036.64
Impact Blue is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaka.hi
Huge fan of Soko-ga-shiritai. Will watch the reruns, too. I know there's another show, but the title escapes me. I love Japanese food. Everything about it. Soko is not strictly a show about Japanese cuisine, but the majority of the show revolves around it.
Dotchi?

You poke me, I shoot you in the face. Only fair, right?
Unread 01-25-2009, 07:41 AM   #10
lois
short fuse

Additional Info
Mos Eisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylynteyes
To everyone who posted,

Thank you so much for your responses! I am writing up my final paper, which has been informed in part by your thoughts. I will turn in the final draft next Monday (it is only now finals week at my university in Japan!).

Thank you!

Neal Akatsuka
could you post up an excerpt, Neal? i'd like to see some of your writing. good luck on your paper!

also post up about Japan (i thought you were here and not up there).

Facebook Comments