Stock Trader Top Investors HT Affiliates
Go Back   Hawaii Talks - Hawaii's Online Community Forums! > Hawaii Talks Forums > General Discussion

HT Hosting

Unread 09-16-2014, 06:38 PM   #1
Hee_Haw
Part time Trunk Monkey

Default The Electricity Conundrum

Hmmm.

HECO doesn't want anyone else to "hook up" their PV systems to the grid, or face fines.

There are unscrupulous solar PV contractors who deceptively install and hook systems up putting people in danger or risk of being fined/ system "locked" up.

Now HECO is telling us to conserve power because one of the generators (or more) are all SNAFU and we might have to go rolling blackout if everyone doesn't play nice....especially during this horribly humid weather.

And....we pay some of the most outrageous rates for electricity.

What to do, where to go? Light a candle?
Unread 09-16-2014, 09:45 PM   #2
Act162this
PW Aficionado

Additional Info
Credits: 9,629.75
Act162this is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hee_Haw View Post
Hmmm.

HECO doesn't want anyone else to "hook up" their PV systems to the grid, or face fines.

There are unscrupulous solar PV contractors who deceptively install and hook systems up putting people in danger or risk of being fined/ system "locked" up.

Now HECO is telling us to conserve power because one of the generators (or more) are all SNAFU and we might have to go rolling blackout if everyone doesn't play nice....especially during this horribly humid weather.

And....we pay some of the most outrageous rates for electricity.

What to do, where to go? Light a candle?
yup - but because they're a monopoly, they can dictate their rules (when did the PUC ever deny them a rate increase?), including tacking on fees and rate increases aimed at pricing PV out of the market.

i understand the risks of the PV systems backfeeding into the grid and putting line workers at risk, so if we finally can get around to installing PV, we're going to do it on the up and up even if it costs a bit more.

but... now HECO is complaining about insufficient supply to meet increased demand, when they could have worked with the PV systems already on the grid to tap into the excess power production? i don't get it... is this poor planning on their part, or pure greed?
Unread 09-22-2014, 09:13 AM   #3
Hee_Haw
Part time Trunk Monkey

Just spoke with my friend last night and the topic of heat, A/C, and electricity came up.

We don't have but ONE small (5000 BTU) A/C window unit in one room (ours, now my mom-in-law's quarters while she stays with us), we just use fans and suffer a little. Our electricity bill is between 120 - 170 or so.

They have splits in several areas of their home, and they ran the units 10 hours a day or so. Their bill? $800!!

Are you A/C fiends paying that much? Now I'm glad I just grab a glass o' sweet tea and sit by da fan.
Unread 09-22-2014, 10:07 AM   #4
Act162this
PW Aficionado

Additional Info

Quote:
Just spoke with my friend last night and the topic of heat, A/C, and electricity came up.

We don't have but ONE small (5000 BTU) A/C window unit in one room (ours, now my mom-in-law's quarters while she stays with us), we just use fans and suffer a little. Our electricity bill is between 120 - 170 or so.

They have splits in several areas of their home, and they ran the units 10 hours a day or so. Their bill? $800!!

Are you A/C fiends paying that much? Now I'm glad I just grab a glass o' sweet tea and sit by da fan.
Right now we're paying about $300/month and run the split duct a/c mostly at night in son's room, or in main living areas. It's not usually very hot, but the last week has been pretty bad. I'm even thinking about putting a split duct in our bedroom - we never needed it before, but this year's been hotter than I can remember.

neighbor's electricity bill went from $3-400 to about $14/month with his PV system. Yesterday he installed a bunch of split ducts all over his house since he is saving $$$ on electricty.

If we end up installing PV later, i think we'll be running the a/c a lot more, though.
Unread 09-22-2014, 11:54 AM   #5
bandits1
Kahuna

Additional Info
Credits: 5,851.26
bandits1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Act162this View Post
If we end up installing PV later, i think we'll be running the a/c a lot more, though.
Use ALL the energy your system produces, man, minus a few thousand kWh to supplement yourselves during the winter months when there's less sunlight. But if you install enough panels, you probably won't even have to worry about how much or little sunlight there is from Nov-Feb.

When we first got PV I felt kind of bad falling back into some bad habits of not turning off the TV and/or lights when leaving a room for more than a few minutes. But with HECO wanting to scale back the credits we earn on net-metering, basically giving PV owners pennies-on-the-dollar back in credit on excess energy produced instead of anything close to a 1:1 deal, I don't feel bad anymore.

Be careful what company you have do your install. A year or three ago when the PV industry was booming you could basically shop by best price, but now with HECO slowing shit down to a crawl you have to consider the company's history and how long you think they'll be around. Also gotta look at what brand of PV panels they use. I'm reading some PV panel manufacturers aren't doing so well financially, and if they fold, there goes your 25 year warranty.

"A good compromise leaves everybody mad."

- Calvin

Last edited by bandits1; 09-22-2014 at 12:15 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Unread 09-22-2014, 09:47 PM   #6
Act162this
PW Aficionado

Additional Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandits1 View Post
Use ALL the energy your system produces, man, minus a few thousand kWh to supplement yourselves during the winter months when there's less sunlight. But if you install enough panels, you probably won't even have to worry about how much or little sunlight there is from Nov-Feb.

When we first got PV I felt kind of bad falling back into some bad habits of not turning off the TV and/or lights when leaving a room for more than a few minutes. But with HECO wanting to scale back the credits we earn on net-metering, basically giving PV owners pennies-on-the-dollar back in credit on excess energy produced instead of anything close to a 1:1 deal, I don't feel bad anymore.

Be careful what company you have do your install. A year or three ago when the PV industry was booming you could basically shop by best price, but now with HECO slowing shit down to a crawl you have to consider the company's history and how long you think they'll be around. Also gotta look at what brand of PV panels they use. I'm reading some PV panel manufacturers aren't doing so well financially, and if they fold, there goes your 25 year warranty.
thanks for the advice!

i read heco got reamed by the legislature as some homeowners have been sitting on systems for over a year and can't connect to the grid to get it turned on and start saving $$$. they are worried they'll lose the tax credits because they can't connect and get the systems hooked up.

my neighbor just got his connected, and a couple of other friends got their PV systems installed recently, and they're saving $$$ (or even getting credited back, because they went overkill on the panels).

i think if we put enough panels on (dunno if i can afford to go big like they did) to even make a dent in the bill or get it under $100, wife and son (and probably me) will be running the a/c in weather like this.

you're right, though... i think (especially after HECO's call to conserve power after basically trying to shut out or price out PV systems the week before) if i had PV, we'd probably run the a/c when we're at home (using up a good amount of the power) since we're not going to get much back if at all. i wouldn't feel so bad about having a small, energy efficient dorm fridge in the garage to keep water and gatorade for when we're working on cars or playing ball or working in the yard (lazy to get cleaned up and go in the house, only to have to put all our safety gear back on again).
Unread 10-22-2014, 10:06 PM   #7
turbolence75
Big Kahuna

Additional Info
Credits: 2,519.82
turbolence75 is on a distinguished road

I just read HECO signed a contract to build a solar farm somewhere on the west side of the island!! What B.S.!

I saw flyers about a solar powered AC system for a room for your house. They didn't answer my question about what happens to the extra power produced when the AC is not on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rotary Empire of Oahu Prefecture
#1 Legend of Extremely Fast Competition for Touge and Wangan Racing
Unread 10-23-2014, 02:54 PM   #8
Hee_Haw
Part time Trunk Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbolence75 View Post
I just read HECO signed a contract to build a solar farm somewhere on the west side of the island!! What B.S.!

I saw flyers about a solar powered AC system for a room for your house. They didn't answer my question about what happens to the extra power produced when the AC is not on.

Seef!

You're right, that's wacked. They see all the converts to PV getting "free" energy, so they will jump on the bandwagon (and charge us mere mortals/ renters out the wazoo for it; justifiable "expense" for "expanding", I suppose.)

I heard about the "PV" air conditioners; sounds like it's a "closed system" (sorry for my lack of proper terminology or even principle) PV that powers just the air conditioner, great during the day if the A/C is never turned off...but what about when it's not on, or at night? (as so many A/C addicts run their A/C units all day and night)

I never lived in a A/C house ever, so I don't know what it's like...however, I've been to homes where the central A/C is on 24/7. I wonder how they fare when the power is out (and no air conditioning)
Unread 10-23-2014, 06:22 PM   #9
Act162this
PW Aficionado

Additional Info

Quote:
I never lived in a A/C house ever, so I don't know what it's like...however, I've been to homes where the central A/C is on 24/7. I wonder how they fare when the power is out (and no air conditioning)
i think our son would probably curl up and die, or spontaneously combust. if he's home, he'll turn on the a/c in one room, when he moves to another he'll turn off the a/c in that room, go to the next, and turn on the a/c in that room.

at least he turns off the a/c when he leaves the rooms...
Unread 11-12-2014, 11:41 AM   #10
ArchangelX
Forum BOB-Erator

Additional Info
Kalihi, Oahu, HI
Wii Friend Code: 0793 7742 9373 2923
Credits: 52,418.93
ArchangelX is on a distinguished road

HECO is a ripoff...I just can't stand how bad my elecricity bill is. 700 a month if we use the A/C during the day.
Unread 01-17-2015, 10:39 PM   #11
turbolence75
Big Kahuna

Additional Info
Credits: 2,519.82
turbolence75 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchangelX View Post
HECO is a ripoff...I just can't stand how bad my elecricity bill is. 700 a month if we use the A/C during the day.

Dude. Do you have penguins at your house you have to keep cool?

Rotary Empire of Oahu Prefecture
#1 Legend of Extremely Fast Competition for Touge and Wangan Racing
Unread 01-26-2015, 08:56 PM   #12
ArchangelX
Forum BOB-Erator

Additional Info
Kalihi, Oahu, HI
Wii Friend Code: 0793 7742 9373 2923
Credits: 52,418.93
ArchangelX is on a distinguished road