Stock Trader Top Investors HT Affiliates
Go Back   Hawaii Talks - Hawaii's Online Community Forums! > Hawaii's Racing Community > Autocross

Autocross General Autocross Discussion

Unread 06-26-2009, 11:58 PM   #1
Dimitri13
Stock T_T

Additional Info
Mililani, Oahu, Hawaii
Send a message via AIM to Dimitri13
Credits: 1,696.75
Dimitri13 is on a distinguished road
Default A few (noob) questions about autox

1. How much does a run in autocross usually rape your tires?
2. I've got CRS (Can't Remember Shit). I'm thinking it will greatly affect my performance?
3. Helmet. Where and how much are the Snell(?) rated helmets?
4. How often is the autox? (I heard it was once a month?)

Thanks guys
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Unread 06-27-2009, 05:46 AM   #2
Udrivecrap
PW Aficionado

Additional Info
Credits: 10,192.30
Udrivecrap has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimitri13 View Post
1. How much does a run in autocross usually rape your tires?
2. I've got CRS (Can't Remember Shit). I'm thinking it will greatly affect my performance?
3. Helmet. Where and how much are the Snell(?) rated helmets?
4. How often is the autox? (I heard it was once a month?)

Thanks guys
i'm still a noob. i've been out there 3 times to the Solo II events... i'll try to answer your questions.

1. not that much, you get 4 runs in a heat. its like 30 seconds of hard cornering on a parking lot. you inflate your tires so that they are stiff and they don't buckle.

2. yeah, it might. you get to walk the track to try and memorize how you are going to drive it. some people just blow right off the course. your first time out you have the opportunity of an instructor riding with you and giving you tips.

3. helmets are expensive, i'd shop around. they are available for rent at the events for cheap.

4. it is more than once a month this year. there's a bunch of events lined up, there's a break when the carnival happens for about a few months. we start up again July 12th.

most of the info you need is here --> Welcome to SCCA Hawaii Region Web

also, there's a link to a couple of message boards in there. hope that helps, hope to see you out there. lots of cool people and there's always noobs.
Unread 06-29-2009, 01:38 PM   #3
corytomo
Big Kahuna

Additional Info

Hehe thanks Dave, even though you've only been out there a little, you're learning alot!
I've been out there about 12 years, I still don't know jack!

1. Depending on the car, the weight, how you drive, the condition of the tires right now, you could do almost no damage, or you could tear the sidewalls down to the steel belt. My miata does very little damage to my street tires, I could probably race on it for 2 years.
2. Walk walk walk walk walk the track. And go slow for the first run or two. And get an instructor for the first race.
3. New Enough Motorcycle Apparel sells motorcycle jackets, pants and suits, boots, gloves, helmets, etc :: New Enough, LTD has a nice selection of last years helmets. Get a snell M-00 helmet at the least, M-05 would be much better. Or go see Ross at Razors in Pearlridge, he could find you a nice cheap helmet.
4. Now that the 50th state fair is almost done, we're having many back to back races, two or even three in a month... its going to be crazy!!! I'm looking forward to it.
Unread 06-29-2009, 08:14 PM   #4
Udrivecrap
PW Aficionado

Additional Info
Credits: 10,192.30
Udrivecrap has disabled reputation

jack who? what class is he in?

i think SCCA (or any kind of racing for that matter) is like potato chips. you can't just try ONE time. noobs should look closely into a yearly membership, after like the 4th time you start saving money as opposed to paying a small weekend membership fee everytime you go out. which means i'm about to start saving money! haha..

here's another cool link, with membership info. SCCA Sports Car Club of America there is a way to get a discount on a membership and also a military discount is available

its really awesome, there's magazines that come to you with your membership, stickers, membership card with your name and # on it and discounts you get at select locations... i mean, seriously, how can people afford not to join SCCA?
Unread 06-29-2009, 11:01 PM   #5
Dimitri13
Stock T_T

Additional Info
Mililani, Oahu, Hawaii
Send a message via AIM to Dimitri13
Credits: 1,696.75
Dimitri13 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the replies guys. But I won't be participating until I get back from BCT/AIT in December :P

Cory: Evo X, 3700 lbs + me, very slow and noob-like, about 50-75% tread left :P How much time do we have to walk the track, and how many walks should I do?

Oh and one more question:

What sort of driving techniques are required? Or can someone with no advanced driving experience drive the course? And is there anything I can do to improve my driving skills?
Unread 06-30-2009, 07:41 AM   #6
corytomo
Big Kahuna

Additional Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimitri13 View Post
Thanks for the replies guys. But I won't be participating until I get back from BCT/AIT in December :P

Cory: Evo X, 3700 lbs + me, very slow and noob-like, about 50-75% tread left :P How much time do we have to walk the track, and how many walks should I do?

Oh and one more question:

What sort of driving techniques are required? Or can someone with no advanced driving experience drive the course? And is there anything I can do to improve my driving skills?
Cool, just let me know when you come out. I can give you a walk through on the course to show you were to go. I'd walk it about 4 times.

Hmm the Evo X is an awesome autox car, but I don't think it likes to save front tires much... I'd say you'd have maybe a year on them, but that might be enough time to get pretty good and want better tires.

Techniques - be able to memorize a sea of cones, and navigate through them. After you get that down, then you'll need to be able to read the course and see which lines are fastest for your car. Just doing this will improve all of your driving skills. You'll need to be able to 1. Look ahead 2. Handle situations where the grip level is gone 3. Threshold brake 4. Read corners better to get through them quicker.

I've done autox and track events for years, and just the autox stuff has taught me a great deal about how to handle a car at the limit, where the limit is, and to look ahead while driving. I've probably avoided 20+ accidents because of this, so it really is a good thing to try.

And trust me, you'll get hooked.
Unread 06-30-2009, 08:00 AM   #7
Act162this
PW Aficionado

Additional Info
Credits: 10,146.10
Act162this is on a distinguished road

i haven't gone to the auto-x in many years, but everyone here has given really good advice.

walking the course is critical. i used to try to walk through it several times, maybe trying different lines through, counting cones for the slalom so you know which side to enter on for the best exit line, picking braking points, etc...

some people used to sketch the course, dunno if they still do that now.

practice, practice, etc...

having the instructor is a good idea. i dunno if they still do fun runs and ride alongs after the races, but i learned a lot from riding with a more experienced driver, and having one of the more experienced drivers take my car out while i rode along. they turned times that i didn't think my car was capable of (and scared the crap out of my car in the process).

you can do the shoe polish on the tire thing to check for sidewall rollover, check tire temps after each run, adjust pressures (bring air compressor or tank).

oh yeah - i think cory touched upon this in a previous post, but go easy on your first couple of runs. can't score if you don't finish.

also, resist temptation to try to keep up lap times with other similar cars - they may be way more experienced than you, and you may just end up driving off into the red mist and DNFing.

oh yeah, and have fun.
Unread 07-05-2009, 09:32 AM   #8
spike
Mark of Shame

Additional Info
Credits: 3,321.20
spike is on a distinguished road

I walk the course as many times as I need to understand the course and lines i should take. I usually hang out with Randall (with the fit) and eaves drop on what Brad Lau has to say to him since he's on a FWD platform too. Randall actually sketches the track, and he's quick! It must be doing something for him.

I've tried sketching the track but it doesn't really do anything for me, I'd prefer to just walk the track several times and keep it in memory. Try different things out and do what ever works for you.

Yes, take the instructor in your first time out. I made the mistake of not getting one and I had a lot of catching up to do on my own. Even now, there are probably things that I would've learned that I still don't know, had I accepted the instructor.

I'm going to have to agree that you should not try to look at other people's times and try to beat them. Focus on beating your own times.
Unread 03-19-2011, 01:44 AM   #9
agita_san
Con Artist

Additional Info
Makakilo
Credits: 774.50
agita_san is on a distinguished road

This is all a lot of great info! I've always been curious about trying this out sometime but I've always been really hesitant to try since I've no racing exp. as well as my car being my DD (no back up plan if I eff up O.O) A friend who just moved to the island expressed interest and is trying to get a bunch of us to go out for the next event but I'm still a bit hesitant. I'm starting to think I should just go for it just for the fun of it
Unread 03-19-2011, 03:08 PM   #10
ArchangelX
Forum BOB-Erator

Additional Info
Kalihi, Oahu, HI
Wii Friend Code: 0793 7742 9373 2923
Credits: 69,809.56
ArchangelX is on a distinguished road

Just go for it man...it's good times. It's easy on the car, and tires...I'm sure you'll get a kick outta it.
Unread 03-20-2011, 09:54 PM   #11
agita_san
Con Artist

Additional Info
Makakilo

So what are the weak points on a cars suspension that I should look at shoring up?
Unread 03-21-2011, 03:40 PM   #12
corytomo
Big Kahuna

Additional Info

It's always quite intimidating to try it for the first time, but most of the people that race are friendly and will help you out. I'd just say try it once, and hang out at the tech tent if you want good advice.

Is the Cobalt in your garage page the one you'll be racing? Looks like you have some kind of lowering springs? Weak points i'm not sure, but it should be fine for our autox. If anything, good shocks. As you learn more and get hooked, then you should read the national SCCA forums on parts to get heehee
Unread 03-21-2011, 04:56 PM   #13
agita_san
Con Artist

Additional Info
Makakilo

I have Koni shocks and struts as well as lowering springs. I just recently put in a strut bar as well. (I'm doing my entire car build on a very tiny budget...lol) But Before I start getting into any serious performance I really wanna build up my suspension first. When is the next event?
Unread 03-22-2011, 01:17 PM   #14
corytomo
Big Kahuna

Additional Info

sounds good, you have a good start.
next race isn't actually until July. We have year end runoffs on april 10th, but you would have needed to have raced 6 times this season.
We do have a test n tune in may though, which would probably be ideal to get use to the car without the pressure. i think its may 1st, but i'll get back to you on that.
Unread 03-25-2011, 07:50 AM   #15
agita_san
Con Artist

Additional Info
Makakilo

*sigh* so I've been doing a lot of reading about how well cobalts handle in autocross, and unfortunately there is an issue with our steering knuckles buckling under aggressive driving. They have competition grade ones on crateenginedepot.com for 300 a pop so hopefully they get here in time for me to make it out! So how does the test and tune work? Is it just a chance for everyone to take their cars for a run to see what work needs to be done before the season starts?
Unread 03-25-2011, 08:01 AM   #16
corytomo
Big Kahuna

Additional Info

oh man, good thing you found about that beforehand!
TnT is probably the BEST bang for the buck.
you race all day, with a 1 hour or so slot of working the track.
morning time there are instructors that can ride or drive your car to help you out.
this is mostly for learning the car and tweaking your suspension settings/tires/self.
the last tnt i got like 15 runs, it was awesome!
if you want some help, let me know - go to the tech tent and ask for cory. i just have to tech in the morning, and then i'm free the rest of the day for instructing, help, or just hell rides in the miata.
Unread 03-25-2011, 09:06 AM   #17
agita_san
Con Artist

Additional Info
Makakilo

Yeah I'm kinda bummed about it. At least they have the comp grade ones available, but according to the scca rules this will take me outta the 'stock class' and into the next one up where I'll be very much out of my league lol. Hopefully I'll have all my parts here and installed by may 1st . If not I might just have to risk a few runs stock O.O how much is it for the TnT?
Unread 03-25-2011, 09:13 AM   #18
corytomo
Big Kahuna

Additional Info

well, with the lowering springs you're already in street prepared. what other mods do you have?
Unread 03-25-2011, 09:18 AM   #19
agita_san
Con Artist

Additional Info
Makakilo

A cat back, intake, strut bar, koni shocs/struts, SSi springs, and an ingals torque dampner. That's about it right now
Unread 03-25-2011, 09:43 AM   #20
corytomo
Big Kahuna

Additional Info

Looks like you'll be in DSP.
Unread 03-25-2011, 09:44 AM   #21
corytomo
Big Kahuna

Additional Info

Or ST for the street tire class... that one might be better for you.
Unread 03-25-2011, 10:14 AM   #22
agita_san
Con Artist

Additional Info
Makakilo

It'll all be the same to me really. I'm really not concerned about competing with other driver's times so much as learning what I can to improve myself. My biggest concern is that my car can handle the abuse, so if putting myself in a higher class due to a lot of suspension mods (I'm gonna be trying to do a LOT next month) that's fine as long as my car is still drivable in the end. if I make it out on the first I'll look you up, I'm gonna need some guidance...lol
Unread 04-02-2011, 11:40 AM   #23
agita_san
Con Artist

Additional Info
Makakilo

SO! I've finally came up with a list of what I plan on doing. Nothing is set in stone yet and there will be some changes made here and there but basically here's what I got:

1) Cobalt SS/SC Adjustable Rear Strut Bar 104.99 (BWoody Performance Products )

2) Cobalt SS/SC Front Sway bar links 133.99 (BWoody Performance Products )

3) Cobalt SS/SC Traction Bars 189.99( )BWoody Performance Products

4) comp Driving steering knuckles 300.38 (ea) (Cobalt Competitive Driving Steering Knuckle RH 88958711 - Crate Engine Depot )

5) FE5 Lower control arm 122.68 (ea) (Cobalt FE5 Lower Control Arm LH 2008 - 2010 25930725 - Crate Engine Depot )

6) turbo Tech Racing Steering Rack Spacers 19.99 (Turbo Tech Racing Steering Rack Spacers Chevrolet Cobalt 2005-10 & HHR & G5 - Suspension - Turbo Tech Racing, LLC )

7) Eibach Rear Sway Bar Kit 179.99 (Eibach Rear Sway Bar Kit Chevrolet Cobalt & HHR 2005-10 - Suspension - Turbo Tech Racing, LLC )

Everything will cost appr. 1600 with shipping I'm presuming.
Unread 04-03-2011, 12:49 PM   #24
ArchangelX
Forum BOB-Erator

Additional Info
Kalihi, Oahu, HI
Wii Friend Code: 0793 7742 9373 2923
Credits: 69,809.56
ArchangelX is on a distinguished road

Very nice...that thing will handle like a Boss after you're done. Does it come with an LSD stock? I imagine that would help tremendously.
Unread 04-04-2011, 10:42 AM   #25
agita_san
Con Artist

Additional Info
Makakilo

Nah it's a base model that I'm slowly building up...didn't have the initial money to drop on the SS

Facebook Comments